Thursday, June 23, 2011

New York- Day 7

The Belmont Race Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was my favorite day of the whole trip. We woke to find rain....on a race day...bummer. Oh well at least it wasn't hot! Once we were all ready Miss Bobbie, Cherie's neighbor came over and took pictures of us. We loaded up in the car and headed to the race. It took us about 45 minutes to get to the track. Once we got there the excitement really started. We drove by the barns on our way to park and saw the horses out getting washed off and ready.. Once we got parked we had to ride school buses to the clubhouse. Of course everyone is telling us how great we look with our hats. But Colt stole the show everyone was in love with him. We were barely in the clubhouse when people were asking to take his picture. We walked around for a while and then went upstairs to find us some lunch. We ate and watched a race. Then we looked around some more....found the gift shop and did some serious damage! While waiting in line we were chatting with the guy in front of us and found out he was a trainer and had a horse in Race #10...(which happens to be the only horse I made any money on..) Come to find out he and Grammy knew some of the same people in Arkansas...What a small world. Then we decided to go and find our seats and watch a few races. Our seats were actually pretty good, they were just before the finish line and covered which was a bonus on a rainy day. We sat and watched races and just had a great afternoon! Finally it was time for the Belmont. The bugle sounded and then everyone sang New York, New York and then we saw the horses... Animal Kingdom, Shackleford, Mucho Macho Man and the lady from NBC... wow I have seen alot of horse races in my days, but nothing like this....it was amazing, you could feel the excitement in the air. Colt was so excited he could hardly stand it. He just waited and waited to see the horses. And they were off.... once they came around the corner and we could see them...we all realized we had lost money! Where we were we couldn't see what happen at the starting gate so we didn't know that Johny V and Animal Kingdom had, had some issues. After the race we sat for a while and watched the winner and all the pictures. Then we headed out. Once we got in the elevator, there was a guy in there that asked us if we had fun. We of course told him yes. Later he tells us he works for NYRA. My sweet mother in law told him that I really wanted to see the Secretariat statue, but we couldn't find it. So he proceeds to tell us that is actually on loan from the Saratoga track, so they do not have it out in public. But he could try to get one of us in to see it. So lucky me! He took me down past the security guards to see it. Then we looked around some more at the grounds. We loaded back up on school buses and headed back to the car and then for home. It was such a great day, and I am happy to say I did something on my bucket list. It was such a great experience. I can't remember how many times that day I heard I had the cutest little boy ever or that I had the coolest kid ever... I totally agree

No comments: